Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Happy 6th Birthday, Connor!

Dear Connor,

Cross another year off. You’re six! And that surely means good things are upon us. I’ve not kept up with the monthly notes, which is truly a pity. I wish I had them to look back upon. But alas, I do not, so perhaps I shall be motivated to write monthly in the future.

Five provided a lot of fantastic memories. We played hard, your artwork flourished, and you joined the diving team. Six has become known as the year you fell in love with math. You also were utterly reasonable so often that when you would be a little nutty, it threw me for a terrible loop. Yes, you bicker with your sister, and yes, that makes me completely insane. And yes, you flirt with pushing her around and seeing what you can get away with. But all and all, I think you’re more moderate than most your age.

Connor, age 5
Connor, age 6
So now that you’re 6, you like to play structured games. You love all manner of board games, and you can beat some adults at checkers – even when they’re trying. Competition motivates you greatly, but although it annoys me often, I still use it to my advantage. As in “first one out of the gift shop wins!” I tried that challenge as we departed the Philadelphia aquarium on your actual birthday. All interest of scoring some sort of treasure from the shop evaporated with the challenge. You enjoy kicking a ball around the yard, making your dad’s goal posts as narrow as possible while widening yours at every chance. You’re starting to get the hang of your bike, and you enjoy roller skating. Most of all, you thrill in riding your scooter.

Connor the builder, with Helen the princess builder in the background.

Where once you scribbled, now you draw boats, docks, trains and for your birthday, you decided to write a book. You have completed the illustrations, and you’ve been working on the story. I’m hoping you gift it to me. I might just put it on my shelf when it’s finished so I get to keep it. You see an object and then draw it. Lately, you’ve been drawing gnomes in caves protecting gems. Your paintings are beautiful.

The diving team provided more entertainment value than any other single endeavor I can recall – for both of us. And since all I had to do was watch your uncoordinated body become slightly less uncoordinated, it was a hoot. It took a while until someone reminded me of the time Greg Louganis banged his head on the board at the Olympics. That dampened my enthusiasm for the sport somewhat. I hope I’m never witness to that.




Math. It’s your friend. This year, you have tried to drive me to the loony bin as you count by 2s, 3s, 4s, 5s… This represents a solid step up from the days of “what’s 2+3?” and other fascinating questions that amused you for far too long. But still, this counting gets old. You also love dividing and multiplying and most importantly, you can actually apply your math smarts. For example, if we tell you something will happen in two weeks, you will multiply 7 and 2 to know that it’s fourteen days away. You are positive that infinity times infinity must be bigger than infinity. Ummm…no. And we’ve discussed this more than once, I’m afraid.



You’re a bit apprehensive about starting first grade, because you know at your beloved Waldorf school, you’d get to stay in Kindergarten another year – and you would very much love that. The age cut-off is 6 months different than public school. But, you’re heading to public school next year, and that means first grade. The teacher you will have is simply remarkable, and I do think the two of you will get on well together.

In preparation for first grade, we’ve been reading and oh.my.gawd, I’m looking forward to the days where you will be reading on your own all the time. When you can go to your school library, study the spines of the books, and figure out what world will be opened for you next. I believe you’re going to be blown away. The sheer amount of information contained in that room is almost impossible to fathom. The fact that your new school has such a lovely library is a new experience, and one I think you’ll love. There is also a dedicated art room, and your classroom looks out on the playground – where I am assured you will play, rain or shine, every day. And that brings great comfort to me.

We celebrated your birthday in Kansas with family, in Arlington with friends, and then in New York with more family. I think three celebrations is pretty good, but I'm quite certain you'd be game for another. We've had a back-up babysitter lately and her mom gifted you with a man made entirely out of rolls of coins. A finer present she could not have produced.

You've decided to be a White Sox fan, which is nothing short of atrocious, but I do believe I still have you as a Wildcat!



You’re a joy to have around, and just like when you were a baby and every day was better than the last, so too, are these days.

Love,

Mommy


No comments:

Post a Comment