Monday, October 25, 2010

Cheerios Asked About Nourishing Mind and Body – Here’s an Idea from My Family, What About Yours?

Since I moved to the East Coast and had children, apple-picking has become a quintessential marker that fall has indeed arrived. I’m partial to the farms that have loads of apples, but not a lot of other activities. My children are still quite young (ages 3 and 5), so the act of discovering a tree, finding an apple on it, and then retrieving it for consumption later – or even right on the spot – can still make for a nice morning. Of course, if the orchard has a cider press, I’m also happy to indulge in a little fresh-pressed cider, something my son claims is “better than candy”!

I still recall four years ago when my sister-in-law started this tradition. At the time, my older child was just over one year old, and he had 2, maybe 3 teeth. Up until that point, I did not even know it was possible to eat an apple with that few teeth. But sheer determination goes a long way.

The combination of cooler nights and a birthday party about 45 minutes from our house set the stage for this year’s trip to the orchard. Somewhat willy-nilly, we happened upon Crooked Run Orchard. After the party and our somewhat circuitous route to the farm, we were a bit tired, so we decided to check out the nearest fields. You know, the fields that everyone else who just wants to make a quick trip checks out.

Given that it was afternoon, these trees had clearly seen their fair share of visitors. But hope springs eternal because way up there, on that branch just out of reach? We could see some beauties.

To recap our ritual:

Step 1. Toss some Cheerios and other snacks in the car and head to the nearest orchard.

Step 2. Walk to field and surmise that there sure are some tasty apples available.

Step 3. Discover your 5 year old is now tall enough to reach some of the lowest apples on the trees. My son was thrilled, although truth be told, the apple wasn’t that impressive. But with apples this size, if an apple a day does indeed keep the doctor away, we should be covered since we’re eating three or four of these snacks!



Step 4. Have the parents reach as high as they can, but still come up only retrieving mid-sized apples.

Step 5. Necessity is often known as the mother of invention. If you can’t reach the apples on your own, use your dad as a ladder and go for it!



And now that you have loads of apples, go turn them into all manner of tasty treats! So far, I’ve made an apple crisp, an apple pie, and I’m still searching for the perfect cider donut recipe. Have one you care to share? Or maybe you have some additional ideas on how to get those way-up-in-the-trees apples? Or something else we ought to be incorporating into our fall routine?

Disclosure: As part of the Cheerios Blogger Circle, I was asked to write about a way my family nourishes mind and body. I was happy to join this circle because my daughter still request Cheerios for her playgroup snack. But please don’t tell my kids my secret. I love to mix in a few chocolate chips when I eat them!

2 comments:

  1. what would we do without dads around, I wonder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rumor has it commercial farmers shake the trees and let the apples fall onto a conveyor belt to be carted off for packing. Not sure what the farm would do if you started shaking trees, or if you could ever get Connor to stop, but it is humorous thinking about it. If you ever try it, let me know how it works out.

    ReplyDelete