Monday, March 13, 2006

Happy Seven Month Birthday

Dear Connor,

Yesterday, you turned 7 months old. That, my friend, seems like quite a lot. It was a gorgeous weekend and we spent most of it outside while you played and Daddy and I alternated between playing with you and doing yardwork (of which there was plenty).

It's been another big month for you. For starters, you went on vacation to Utah. Daddy and I skiied and you turned your Mims and Pappy into your biggest fans - well, outside of me, that is. You taught them all about peek-a-boo, sleeping in laps, eating all that solid food, and beating up on Mr. Cow so he would jingle. Mims had to cut her visit a little short, but Pappy went the distance and we think he's just about recovered at this point. During this vacation, on February 27, to be exact, your eyes changed color. They are no longer blue, but more of a hazel. I miss those big blue eyes, but I love your big hazel eyes too. It made me think about the day, sometime during your teen years, when your voice will drop an octave and I just know I will miss what was your high-pitched voice.



I introduced you to the outside swing, and like most things when you are introduced, you were unimpressed. When I reported this to Aunt Linda, she replied dryly "Gee - I wonder where he gets that from?". Yesterday though, I heard you laughing out loud as you were swinging with Daddy, so I guess the second time is a charm in your case.



We tried to feed you peas several times, and each time you gagged, stuck out your tongue, and looked at us like "what the heck was that all about?". Tofu, on the other hand, got the go ahead. Not sure what we have planned for you in the next few meals, but I can say that boy cannot live on milk, sweet potatoes, pears, and cereal alone.

You impressed both your dad and I one morning when you decided to use your beloved bouncy seat and pull yourself to a standing position. Sitting is no problem for you these days, and you can stare at a toy with great intensity. We hope you have good intentions when you figure out what makes the Jingly Guy jingle and the cow chime, because otherwise we could be in a lot of trouble.

You ate a pickle - or at least gummed it for a while and you have mastered holding your bottle on your own. You will even take it out of your mouth before it is empty, which I am presuming means you are full. I have no idea why we pay a nanny since it seems like we could just sit you in the middle of the floor with some bottles and toys and you'd be OK - unless you needed to actually move to get them. Oh, and I guess you're not too nuts about being left alone.



Sometimes, it is obvious you need to tell us something, and it pains my heart that I can't understand yet what it is. At the end of the day it might be "Daddy, I'm not ready to stop playing in the bath" or, equally likely "Daddy, I don't feel like bathing today". I promise Connor, we're doing the best we can figuring out what you want. This afternoon I was talking to your nanny about a new stroller and you let out the longest sigh as if to say "who cares about the friggin' stroller, you're home now so it's time to nurse and play and not worry about stuff like that". It was really quite cute.

You are a joy to be with and I love seeing things through your eyes. Yesterday you discovered grass, which is much cooler than I had remembered. After all, you can push it down and it pops back up, it must feel pretty neat, and lucky for me you can't quite pull it out because then you would do an impersonation of a cow and eat it. I think you might be planning on being a dentist because one of your favorite activities is pulling my teeth - that or you're trying to let me know you plan to get some teeth in the near future.

I can happily report that your sleep is getting better, which means my sleep is getting better, and I suspect the folks I work with are happy about that. Perhaps the things I write are becoming easier to follow.

You are still the cutest child in the world!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment