Monday, June 4, 2018

Encore Stage's Pinocchio - a Real Treat!

My children and I haven't been hitting the theater much lately. Mostly, we've just drifted towards other things. But when I received an offer to go see Encore Stage and Studio's production of Pinocchio - I tested the waters and got a resounding "yes!". BONUS: It turns out my friend's daughter was in the show - so that was an extra treat! I highly recommend the show and hope you go see it next weekend.

The Important Info:
Encore Stage & Studio presents Pinocchio
WHO: Encore Stage & Studio—Theatre by Kids, for Kids!
WHAT: Pinocchio
WHEN: June 1-10, 2018
Fridays, June 1 and 8, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Saturdays, June 2 and 9, 2018 at 11 am and 3 pm
Sunday, June 3 and 10, 2018 at 3 pm
WHERE: Gunston Arts Center – Theatre One
2700 S. Lang St. Arlington, VA 22206
WHY: Travel with Pinocchio on his road of misadventures, meeting many kooky characters along the way. From Pleasure Isle, to his showdown with the Great Fish, Pinocchio tries to find his way back to his father, Geppetto. Will he learn to choose truth and kindness on his quest to become a “real boy?” Come and see! We recommend this production for ages 4 and older.
TICKETS: $15 Adults, $10 Children, Students, Military, and Seniors. Tickets are available online at www.encorestage.org or by calling the box office at (703) 548-1154.
My Thoughts:

We attended opening night, and even though I went my daughter went to the show exhausted from her school's field day, she was on the edge of her seat through the whole performance. Here were our favorite things.

1. PLOT TWISTS: OK, maybe I've just forgotten the story, or maybe I thought the Disney version as the ONE TRUE THING, but we were surprised. Multiple times. And the surprises didn't detract from the timelessness of the story, they just added to the fun of the production. I won't spoil anything, but just know going in that this is not the standard telling of the tale.

2. Costumes: My children both do Odyssey of the Mind, and one of the hallmarks of the activity is that the students create everything - without adult assistance. Someone, Encore has managed in this production to create a few key costumes that perfectly straddle the line of professional - yet possible to imagine making at home. At one point, there is a costume worn by 5 cast members at once, and both my children and I said "WHOA! We should try something like that." So, hat tip to Encore here for spawning a bit of imagination off-stage.

3. Clever set piece: Again, Encore walked the line between profession and child-created. When people pay for a performance, they definitely want to see something more than a garage show made with old paint cans and wood banged together. But when a theater advertises that they're supporting children, it's appropriate that children are involved in all stages. There is a jellyfish crafted from an umbrella and shiny strips of cellophane that is fantastic, and a car that rides across the stage and really looks fun. Again, my children and I both made notes about how we could adapt something like this for our own purposes.



Elaine

**I received two tickets to this production, and purchased a third. I highly recommend this clever twist on an old tale.


No comments:

Post a Comment