Monday, May 12, 2008

Anniversary wrap-up

Today, Ed and I celebrated our 7th anniversary. I wished him "Happy Anniversary" this morning as I gathered up Helen to take her to the audiologist. His response? Total silence. My thought? "This is going to be an AWESOME year."

This sort of exemplifies how communication can be tough when there are two little people needing lots of attention on a regular basis. My mind was half on getting out the door and remembering how to get to the audiologist's office and Ed's mind was racing to figure out what he could offer the little man for breakfast - because, uh, Ed bought the WRONG KIND OF OATMEAL!!! He bought the kind that already has banana in it and that is NOT the kind of oatmeal Connor eats. And Connor is not one to give a person a break on this sort of issue because, really, bananas should be eaten separate from oatmeal because that is how it has always been done in Connor's gastronomie.

Rather than leaving wondering whether Ed heard me and was not equally happy about the day or he simply hadn't noticed I had spoken to him, I went back and asked him - and it turns out the latter was correct. Phew. Because I really, really don't want to do this job alone or with anyone else. I'm simply not up for it.

We celebrated by eating a giant cookie - which was actually purchased for Mother's Day - but Connor was feeling under the weather last night and it wouldn't have been right to cut into it without him.

Happy Anniversary, Ed. Thanks for taking care of Helen last night. She'll learn to sleep again, I just know it.

Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment